28.12.12

Wood Sandpiper

 






I had no design constraints when it came to making this bespoke quilt for my client to give as a wedding present. I decided to try a new patchwork design that I had been wanting to experiment with for a while. I had no pattern to work from which was strange at first as I usually take a while working out my dimensions, this time I just cut random shapes and sizes. 

It was actually quite tricky to come up with the choices of fabric as I am usually given a colour base to start from but as I had total free range I decided on using many hand screen printed fabrics from Australian designers as well as a lot of organic cottons and natural linens.I used a simple cream cotton fabric for the backing to show off the quilting.

And although I do love making quilts to match the desires of my clients. It felt very liberating creating this piece which is solely my vision.

I sooooo wanted to keep this one!!! I know I will never be able to re-create quite the same.

4 comments:

ally said...

It's gorgeous - no wonder you wanted to keep it!
I'm still saving for my very own...

Jane said...

Hi Kathryn. seasons greetings to you! I love the quilting on this piece (circles to represents wedding rings I presume) and the use of natural fabrics, Aussie designers. it 'feels good'. Nice for you to have the creative freedom too. Jane x

marble mantels said...

I am so much willing to have it. xo
~ Herman Swan

flutterbymama said...

simply gorgeous.